Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Field Trip 1


Our first trip introduced us to the world of modern Art. Each work of art at MoMa, had some sort of story behind it. All artists express a unique form of identity through their artwork. Identity plays a big role in art because it identifies the artist’s personal, historical and cultural background. Roaming around the museum I found three works that had an interesting identity.


The first piece of artwork that caught my eye was “The Three Musicians” by Fernand Léger. This painting reflects the authors cultural identity. It is an oil on canvas painting created in 1944. The first thing I looked at when I saw this painting were the three men playing instruments. The three men in the painting are Pauvre Picasso, Pauvre Braque and Léger himself. The setting of the painting takes place in Paris. They all are dressed elegant and look very professional. Leger used his personal form of cubism to create this piece. The reason I chose this picture as cultural identity is because it made me feel like im in a fancy restaurant, eating a delicious meal, and listening to romantic music in Paris. 



G.Schleicher’s and Konstanty Gutschow’s “Bank and Office Building” has a historical identity. It is a silver-gelatin photograph that was taken in Germany,1928. This picture automatically took me to the past and I felt like I was living in the old days because of all the detail it has. In the photograph you can see the brick floor and the train tracks on it.  There are people in the backround all just roaming around the busy city. It is a non-colorful photograph because back then they didn’t have the technology we have today. The reason I would consider this piece as a historical indentity is because nowadays we live a totally different lifestyle then people back then. Everything looks completely different. The car on the left side of the photo is the first luxury Ford invented. Almost in the center there’s an announcement booth which 


Visiting MoMa was a great experience because it allowed me to view art differently.  I learned to appreciate and understand the work by viewing it through the artist’s eye.  The story’s behind the paintings makes it easier for you to identify their identity. There’s more behind art then it’s beauty if you actually take the time to perceive it!

No comments:

Post a Comment